This is a journal about Elaine Lisle's paintings and art events                                                     |     Visit My Site

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Charlottesville Opening and painting in the woods...

Visit to Virginia

Last week I made a trip down to Charlottesville for my Opening at Warm Springs Gallery on April 10th. It's a long drive to go just for an Opening, so my husband came along and we took a few days off to stay at an Inn outside of Charlottesville, in Crozet, VA… The Sugar Hollow Inn is about 1/2 hour outside of town, and only a couple miles from the Shenandoah National Forest and a wonderful trout stream. (John was happy about this, being an avid fly fisherman) The plan was, I could paint and he could fish… I highly recommend the Inn… very peaceful, fabulous breakfasts and friendly helpful Innkeeper!

We drove into Charlottesville Wednesday morning and stopped in to see the exhibit… I was really pleased to see my name out on the Street advertising the show:


I guess I had imagined some warm sunny weather… being that Virginia is SO much further south than Pennsylvania, so we were certainly disappointed the first few days… cloudy… grey… some drizzle… not my most inspiring subjects (although I know some artists who treasure these conditions, so I tried to channel them as I tackled this little landscape Thursday morning)...

 These were not the kind of cows I was used to seeing grazing on Pennsylvania farms… in fact, at one point I looked up from my easel to see this one staring me in the face, as if to say, "put me in the picture?"
 I felt OK about my little painting, but I managed to smear the entire thing as I put it into my wet painting carrier… tragic. but I worked on it when I got home and rescued the attempt after all.
the smeared piece
Crozet Sycamore 12 x 9  oil

I did this one looking in the other direction…

Spring is coming, Crozet 9 x 12  oil

On Friday we hiked into the Shenandoah National Park along this wonderful trout stream…
the Moormans River… we decided to head back on Saturday morning when the sun was supposed to be out.


and the sun did come out… here is the subject for my next plein air piece:



Spring on the Moormans  14 x 11  oil


The Gallery Opening on Friday was very special. Barbara Buhr and her assistant Elizabeth, did a fabulous job with the hanging.  A highlight was the chance to connect with collectors who had purchased one of my paintings in Philadelphia many years ago...




Blue Umbrellas Lunchtime  18 x 24  oil (available)

Statue on the Square  20 x 04  oil (available)

Yellow Umbrellas Downtown  24 x 36  oil (available)

To see all of the available works from the show and Gallery information,  go to:

Warm Springs Gallery

the show will be up until the middle of May, so please stop in to see it if you are in the area!


No comments:

Post a Comment